Adele - 21

June 9, 2011 - that's almost 2 months ago and that was the last time I actually blogged about CDs! In other words, I've been restricting myself from shopping for CDs for over a month! How 'bout that?! Come to think of it... How is it even possible?!

Maybe because there aren't anything interesting releases or any releases that interests me, yet...

But anyway~ Here I am shopping for music once more because I'm worth it!!

Before I continue though, I'll show you something...


These may look like antiques nowadays because come on~ Who honestly buys UMD to play with their jail broken PSP? Don't tell me yours isn't jail broken but if it's honestly not, I salute you! These UMDs had been on my shelf since my polytechnic days and honestly, the only game I've completed was "Marvel Ultimate Alliance".

Considering that I no longer play with my PSP because there are no interesting releases on it (I think the Nintendo platform is so much more fun because we have, that's right - POKEMON!!), I decided to sell these PSP games to Qisahn - local game store with, I dare say, the cheapest prices on this overly sunny and humid island.

On top of that, I needed some "funds" (I'm not as broke but you know, who would complain if you had more money right?) for music! So goodbye games and hello MUSIC!! In case you want to know, I got S$19 for selling these marvelous games. Not too much but better than nothing. Actually, I was expecting more though... Oh well~


Well, back to what this post's originally for - Adele's second album - "21"!!


Released in the United States back in February 22, 2011 (Oops~ That's like ages ago~), this album charted multiple charts worldwide and by August, she had already sold over 10 MILLION copies of this masterpiece worldwide! And yes~ Before I forget, I shall introduce you to my mini easel which will appear more frequently in my CD shoots now because it makes my life so much easier!


If you were going like "Shame on you for not realizing this talent earlier", then I'm guilty as charged because even though I've heard her fantastic voice over the radios and CD shops and was that tempted to get the album, I was a little turned off by the cover art because it struck me as uninteresting. Don't be shooting me because it's my most honest opinion.

Furthermore, I only heard snippets of her songs and therefore, couldn't really judge if the album is worth my money but considering that people like J J Lin's (local Pop singer) and Britney Spears' (renown Queen of Pop) confirmation, I deem this as a pretty good buy.

But I haven't actually heard the songs in it yet except for the lead single - "Rolling in the Deep" which is AMAZING I must say.


The back of the album with the track list. This photo reminds me of Lady Gaga in her "THE FAME MONSTER" EP because of the color scheme and because Adele does look like Gaga without make up. And yes~ I must say that Adele's damn good at working her camera angles because she's a plus sized person in reality but in photos, she look like a model! Good good!!


When you open up the jewel case, you see this lime green CD against a black background. Hmmm... Nothing really interesting about the CD though. In fact, I have to say that this album has one of the most uninspiring designs I've ever seen. Good thing Adele's a real talent with her voice, making people buy her albums based on her portfolio than packaging because otherwise, I dare say this album wouldn't sell just judging on the lackluster packaging.


I wasn't kidding about the black - BAMM!! Full darkness inside!


The black monster is rescued by some really interesting portraits of Adele at work - writing her music and performing in the studio. But here's my biggest complaint - this album is such a masterpiece with fantastic country songs with beautiful lyrics but...

WHY HASN'T THE BOOKLET FEATURED THE LYRICS?!

One of the reason people open to see what's inside the booklet is to appreciate the wonderful words used in the songs and, of course, the pictures, but considering that this album sold millions and millions of copies, why didn't they put in the lyrics which is one of the main selling points of this magnum opus?!

Therefore, I conclude that this is probably the most frustrating album packaging and design I've ever seen because it disappoints me to no ends. At least I can seek comfort in Adele's stunning voice...


I have to say though, that the pictures are pretty good and it captures the mood of the album aesthetically. If only there were lyrics!!




Adele's "21" wins hands down in terms of the music and everything audible but in terms of visuals, please do me a favor and get someone who actually looks more into the aesthetic to design it! There's a difference between simplistic and almost nothing at all (where are my freakin' lyrics?!) and this album sits on the line. The photos are stunning and well taken but the way it's presented seems like the person took no effort to bother making Adele look even better than she deserves. 

I hope that the sales and platinums that this album is awarded gives the designer some pressure to produce better works in terms of the design so that it compliments with the great songs within this album. Overall, I say this album is best to be listened than to be seen...

But after all, aren't all albums supposed to be in that way?? :)

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP