The Book Depository - Best Online Book Store!!

Who buy books nowadays? *raise hand* Well, I still do but as we all know, things in Singapore (or even around the world) are getting more and more pricey and unfortunately, our pay or allowances isn't rising proportionately. Therefore, I guess it's more economical to either not read, borrow from the library or even download pirated copies online (which I would highly not recommend).

This short blog post is here to introduce my favorite online book store - The Book Depository.

Screen grab from http://www. bookdepository.com
As always, when we shop online for anything, in this case, the books, we ask ourselves these simple questions:
  1. How much are the books?
  2. How much is the shipping?
  3. How reliable is the shipping?
Today, I shall answer these questions for you as simply as possible so that you will enjoy whatever I enjoy while shopping at the Book Depository.


First of all, let's answer the first question: How much are the books?

The answer is simple - definitely cheaper than Kinokuniya or the Popular book store. For instance, if I were to shop for the trilogy book set for say, The Hunger Games, it would cost between $40 - $50 in Singapore. However, you can get the same thing from the Book Depository for around $35! Now that's a massive saving, yes? Kiss my puwet, GST!!


Screen grab from one of The Book Depository e-mail
Furthermore, if you register your particulars with the Book Depository, you receive emails on their now-and-then promotions which gives you codes for further discounts. For instance, in May 2012, they gave out codes for a storewide 10% discount! That may not be a lot but it sure makes a difference and it brings down the already cheap prices down even more. So do register with them to get updates like that to maximize your savings!

In terms of their book selection, I must say, for English books, they are well stocked. All you have to do is to run a search on the topic or the title of the book and you'll be brought over to the page - quick and easy. It's unfortunate that they do not carry Asian books or books of other languages (maybe they do but I didn't bother finding out - why not you try?) but if they do, I bet they will be making tons of money from the Asian market. Nevertheless, so far, I've been able to find the books that I want.


And now, for the second question: How much is the shipping?

One of the fears of online shopping is that your product may be cheap but the shipping costs an arm and a leg. I've seen things sold on eBay where the item is a few cents but the shipping is probably 500% more than the item. That's sick, no?

No worries when you shop at the Book Depository because shipping is absolutely free! Yes! There's no minium requirement for shipping! You can buy the smallest book or the thickest encyclopedia and still enjoy free shipping worldwide. Yes~ And that's why I continue to patronize them because with free shipping, you save even more! Heck~ You don't even need to spend the transport fees to drop by a local book store to buy a book when you can do it on the couch. How convenient!! 


And lastly, how reliable is the shipping?

Y'all would have known by now that I'm pretty fussy when it comes to packaging and delivery because everyone expects their purchases to reach them timely and safely, yes? Well, I think the Book Depository did an okay job in terms of the timeliness but a pretty good job when it comes to how well your product is packed.

Let's talk abou the timeliness first. The website promised a delivery to Singapore in around 7 - 10 working days but I received my book exactly on the 10th day and to me, that's a little unacceptable even though it's within their stipulated timeline. That's because my previous order arrived pretty quickly and perhaps, I had higher expectations of them. Nevertheless, they are reliable in terms of their timeliness but is living on the edge because if they delay just by one day, they sure are getting an email of wrath from me. 

When it comes to the packaging, I'm pleased.


Books, unlike the fragile CDs that I often buy, are more sturdy but even so, during the delivery process, things happen and your books may get damaged accidentally. However, when you purchase a single book, your book comes in this sturdy cardboard envelope that's really strong so you can be promised that your purchases are safe. 


Inside the envelope, you get your book (of course) as well as an invoice of your purchase. Sometimes, they throw in things like the bookmark you see above which I think is a great touch in terms of customer service because I always need a bookmark. Most of the time, my bookmarks are either receipts or unwanted pieces of paper. See~ My book arrived perfectly - just like how you would get it in the store if the children didn't damage them while browsing through.


Overall, I'm extremely pleased with the Book Depository when it comes to their products as well as how they deliver their items. It would be better if their shipping was slightly faster and more consistent but so long as they promise to deliver within the stipulated time frame, legally, I would be okay with it. 

So~ If you're looking for books and is too lazy to go out to get them, you should really give this store a go. Plus, if you're looking for a more reasonable price (I got this book at $29 while Popular is selling it for $35), think no further because online shopping is definitely cheaper with free shipping!

Visit The Book Depository at

ashu  – (June 18, 2012 at 2:39 PM)  

Thanks for sharing this source but i mostly place order for books online on snapdeal and get good discount

Anonymous –   – (April 4, 2014 at 1:41 PM)  

Thanks for sharing your experience with BookDepository. Very helpful infor. :)

Arti Singh  – (December 11, 2015 at 7:49 PM)  

Thanks for sharing such informative and useful information which is very beneficial who want to know about it. Please keep sharing.

Depository services UP

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP