Lady Gaga - Born This Way The Collection

Sometimes I wonder why the artistes like to release their studio albums again and again in different versions over a span of time - like what Lady Gaga is doing this time round with her multi-platinum album "Born This Way".

Because of this collection box, I have 2 copies of "Born This Way" on my shelf. Not to mention, I also have 2 copies of "The Fame" as well because it came with "The Fame Monster". Marketing strategy? I'm confused, honestly, because I don't need so many copies of the same thing, yes?

Anyway, back to the topic. "Born This Way - The Collection" was released last month on the 21st. Uh huh~ Another belated post but hey~ I don't have time to go shopping often you know. Furthermore, this collection box was delayed in Singapore due to some weird issues but at least we still managed to get it.

And... After a long time since I blogged about CDs, it's time for the photos... :)


Presenting to you Mother Monster's latest release - Born This Way The Collection!! Basically, this box set contains 2 CDs and 1 DVD and these are her studio album, the remix album of her studio album and her Monster Ball Tour performed at Madison Square Garden (where ever that place may be...) The reason why I bought this box set is simple - I LOVE THE COVER! I have no clue what Gaga is covered in but it's just aesthetically pleasing to my eyes~


However, if you feel like you do not want to spend S$49.90 (hmv) / S$45.90 (MJ Multimedia) on something which you already have - the studio album, you can buy the remix album and the DVD or Blu-ray versions of the Monster Ball Tour separately. The remix album costs around 14 bucks while the Blu-ray is at a surprisingly affordable price of S$29.90. DVD's going at S$27.90. Gosh!! I'm so proud of myself for being able to remember all the prices!! Anyway, here's the how the back of the gorgeous off-white cardboard box look like.


Here are the spines of the cardboard sleeves which are used to hold the discs - my most hated packaging ever because it's flimsy and provides minimal protection to the discs. Furthermore, when you shake the whole box, which I wouldn't recommend unless you want scratched discs, you can hear that annoying loose disc sound. Design wise, it works. Practicality, no way.


The other side of the box. Kinda reminds you of ayumi hamasaki's A BEST 2 -WHITE- yeah? Font choices, color choices and all...


As expected, when you pull out the cardboard sleeves from the outer case, you see each respective disc contained in the appropriate sleeves with the corresponding album art. If only they used jewel cases instead of cardboard sleeves like what they did to P!NK's "The Album Collection".


Instead of spelling it out in your face, you have to either explore the contents of these cardboard sleeves or be as knowledgeable as me to recognize each album art to know which sleeve contains what. From left to right, we have the Monster Ball Tour DVD, the remix album and lastly, the studio album in its same, scary cover. I think the covers actually look quite good without the titles on it - keeps the cover cleaner.


Let's start with the Born This Way - The Remix. I'm not a huge fan of remixes and I honestly have no idea how this album will sound like because I have yet to listen to it but at least the cover looks better than the motorcycle monster that we see on her regular versions of her album. Sometimes, I wonder if I'm actually buying her photos or buying her music because obviously, I'm more interested in the covers than the remixes of Born This Way.


At least the track list looks pretty good, with songs that I like for instance You and I, Judas, Scheiße, Marry the Night, etc. Well, that's basically the whole studio album that I like, no? :P I just hope that the remixes are not those trashy ones with more electro music than there is actually singing.


The CD peeping out from the cardboard case. Nothing really special about the disc.


Here we have the studio album, Born This Way - the reason why this entire box set could see the lights in the CD shop. Still features the scary Gaga with her bloody red lipstick and her eyes staring right down into your soul, as if seeking out your darkest secrets and your deepest fears...


At the back of this sleeve, you are also greeted with the album art of the regular version of Born This Way - the motorcycle-thing. Seriously, I still don't get this motorcycle madness because no matter how hard I try, it doesn't relate to the theme of the album. Well, unless Gaga is trying to say that she's born a motorcycle then I have nothing much to go against that creative.


Unlike the remix sleeve, this sleeve allows you to open it up like a book. The right side of the sleeve stores the lyric booklet and the left side holds the CD itself.


Here's how the studio album looks like with the CD and the lyric booklet. If you are keen on peeping into the lyric booklet, be sure to drop by my previous post on the deluxe version of the album by clicking HERE. Well, come to think of it, I did not exactly get the same thing. The deluxe version comes with a bonus disc but the collection one features only the album itself. Okay~ Enough of the reaffirmation talk...

OH YES!! In case you're wondering if The Collection copy of Born This Way is censored or not, it unfortunately is. What a letdown! I was hoping that it wasn't censored because I saw the Parental Advisory and M18 sticker but oh well... Don't think they will release the uncensored version any sooner with suckers like me buying copies after copies in hopes of getting the raw one.



Here's the part where I'm most interested in - the Monster Ball Tour sleeve! This is the first English artiste concert DVD to make it into my collection because it's conveniently sold in this box set. I'm more interested in Japanese concerts than English ones because they are more dramatic but since this is Gaga, dramatic is an understatement. The cover features Mother Monster's boobs on fire - who would have thought of that other than Katy Perry, no?


The back of the cover. Did you know that the Parental Advisory label, or in Singapore, the M18 sticker, is "awarded" to this box set due to the concert DVD? Wow... That means that this concert must pack helluva things to make it adult-rated. I have yet to watch it but I definitely will tomorrow when the sun is up, in case the concert gives me a nightmare.

By the way, lucky for me, the M18 sticker is stuck onto the plastic wrap of the album so if you buy this album locally (by locally, I mean Singapore), you can get rid of the M18 sticker by just removing the plastic wrap - easy peasy~~ No hairdryer and baby oil~


Similar to the studio album's sleeve, this sleeve allows you to open it up like a booklet and apologies for my stupidity because I just realized I missed out the shot of her climbing onto a car - the image that you see when you open the sleeve up. Anyway, the Monster Ball sleeve comes with the DVD as well as a booklet of pictures.


Out of all the three discs, this is the nicest looking one because it has fireworks on it.


A close up on the front page of the Monster Ball photo booklet.


The back of the photo booklet featuring a tamer version of Gaga.


Well, just to entice you to go to your nearest CD store to get your own copy of this collection box, I shall post some random shots from the photo booklet. From the booklet, you can tell that throughout the concert, she changed costumes again and again - just like the rest of the Japanese pop stars. Really excited to go watch it tomorrow~ And notice that finger? That small gesture might have been the reason why this collection box is M18.


I love the outfit on the left~


Gaga loves her spikes, no?


Well overall, I would say that this box set is worth your money because...

A) You love the cover like I do because finally, it's not just black and white - it has colors and goo and things that makes you go "What on earth is that~?!"

B) You're a collector like I am

C) You're a Baby Gaga like myself

D) You don't have the studio album (shame on you!!) and you want to redeem yourself from the embarrassment by getting yourself a copy then this collection box would definitely be fantastic for you

E) You like the packaging as much as I do despite the flimsy cardboard sleeves

F) Come on! It's only S$49.90 for 3 discs! That's extremely cheap as compared to the rest of my Japanese CDs!

GAGA) Because you love Monster Mother~ :)



Well, that's all I have to cover for Born This Way The Collection. Let's see if this post can bring up my viewership for this month higher because I'm pretty sure it will. I realized that any post with "Gaga" in it is a sure hit. Let's see then~!! :D

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP