Namie Amuro - LIVE STYLE 2011

After waiting for more than 14 business days which YesAsia promises to deliver your products by, my order for Queen of Hip Hop Namie Amuro's LIVE STYLE 2011 and another DVD (Stay tuned! Hint: It has something to do with the Queen of J-POP!!) finally arrived last week. YesAsia's delivery service has been getting from bad to worse. My previous order was also delayed but at least I received them eventually. Shame on them for making their customers wait obscenely.

Anyway, this is my second Namie Amuro concert DVD; the first being her Past<Future Tour 2010 (unboxed and reviewed on my tumblr blog last year). Reason why I got this one? Probably because it has some of the songs that I had never ever heard of and want to give a try while watching Miss Hip Hop dance to them and because I wanted to add up enough on YesAsia for the free shipping (true reason. :P)

Namie's concerts, at least judging from the 2 that I have, are relatively simple as compared to Koda Kumi and ayumi hamasaki. She does only a few costume changes and keep the whole concert very simple with minimal props and effects. However, that does not discount her talented singing as well as stage presence when she starts dancing and strutting her stuff. Her light designers are also damn good at the lighting.

Now, let's look at what LIVE STYLE 2011 brings us...


The DVD comes in a slipcase sleeve and here's the cover with the plastic shrink wrap still on. Initially, I didn't really get the story behind the picture because it looks as though she is smiling under water. It was upon watching the introduction cinematics of the concert did I come to realize that she is actually a really cool knight in armor with her helmet exploding. Interesting concept but didn't really deliver via the front cover due to lack of other elements suggesting that she was wearing an armor.


The shiny sticker on the shrink wrap that gives a short summary of the concert in Chinese. Basically, it says that there are 25 songs featured on this DVD and it comes with Chinese subtitles. Nothing very useful.


CDs or DVDs always look better without the shrink wrap because they often come clustered with other stickers that aren't very attractive to begin with. Furthermore, shrink wraps tend to attract a lot of dust and therefore, it makes photographing them difficult. Initially, I didn't really fancy the cover but I think this is one of those covers that will grow on you. She is definitely smiling with her eyes~~ Coolness!!


I'm a fan of Namie but unfortunately, not that big of a fan because I don't collect every single or album she's ever produced. But at least I can still recognize some of the songs in this concert. Some of the older ones or newer ones are foreign to me but when the new album (I heard it's announced already) is released, I will definitely go get that one.

Anyway, here's the track list. What I don't really enjoy about her concert DVDs is that they do not include the making ofs. I think the making ofs are fun to watch because it shows the artist in their every day life "state" and often, it shows the true sides of the singers off stage. Perhaps they wanted to keep all her concert DVDs to one disc? I don't know...


Here's the slipcase cover with the DVD case side by side. A sudden change in theme, yes? I've seen Namie mostly in her sleek outfits and seeing her in a dress is kinda fresh to me. Like I've said, I'm not her ultimate fan but hey, at least I support her original goods yes?


I'm also happy that they used a different cover on the inside so that there are more things to feast our eyes on instead of the same photo over and over again. Here we have the dancing queen sporting a pink dress, looking so feminine in her signature long hair curled up.


On the back of the plastic DVD case are some screen grabs of what you would expect in the concert. I must say, even though there aren't many special effects, Namie commands the entire arena and her presence on stage is not to be missed. The lighting is fantastic and gosh can she sing and dance at the same time! I'm really amazed at how she can keep up with her breath and still sing those really difficult songs like "Defend Love". *applause*


When you open the case, you're greeting with something simple - a poster folded neatly by the side and the black DVD. Unlike Koda Kumi and ayu, Namie's concerts do not include a lyric or photo booklet and I say that is such a pity. But that's probably because of the style of the concert as well since there aren't many costume changes and special effects worthy of making a photo book out of it.


But when I mean her concert is simple, I ain't saying it's sloppy. In fact, it's simple but packed with some really good but minimalistic details. Had to take a photo of the back of the DVD and insert because it's so gorgeous! Running on the theme of her latest compilation album featuring other artists - Checkmate!, the chess pieces are back again and this time, it's not just a prop but also a platform Namie can stand on. Really cool~ The entire stage is also a huge chess board too.


Last but not least - here's the poster that comes folded in the DVD casing. Namie Amuro in her long hair (I've never seen her in short hair before other than for a single song in this concert where she wore a wig) in an armor suit. Well, we can't really be definite that it's really her inside but this is really cool nevertheless. And yes, this is the armor introduced in the opening cinematics which resulted in the cover art we all see.


Namie Amuro is a strong performer who delivers even though her concerts are simple but very refined and sleek. Even if you do not like to watch dances, you can just pop this DVD in to listen to her sing live and I must say, it's amazing! Not many people (e.g. Korean girl bands) can do that without lip sync and I say she pulled it of splendidly.

It's a pity that some of the songs in this concert were meant to be performed with the featured artists on their original tracks (songs like "make it happen" and "WONDER WOMAN") but was performed by Namie alone. But again, getting other artists with other works to do to make a guest appearance is quite challenging but I would really want to watch them perform live together on these really good songs.

Overall, this concert is worth watching for the dances and Namie's amazing singing and stamina as well as stage presence. She's also the only artiste I know that can strut the runway while singing and dancing like a true top model! For a single mother aged 34, she maintains her energy and youth (and of course body) for the entertainment of everyone, I say that's extremely remarkable!

Can't wait for her next studio album! The singles so far are promising and I hope that every single track released thus far will make it to the album because they sound really good~

Unknown  – (May 18, 2012 at 3:24 AM)  

pre-order her new album on cdjapan now ^^

Unknown  – (May 18, 2012 at 3:30 AM)  

I'll wait for the Hong Kong press to be out first - I want the region code 3 DVD. :)

Unknown  – (May 19, 2012 at 2:18 AM)  

I heard the first press is specially packaged. Plus poster...

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP